Tuesday, June 30, 2009

OH BOY!!! The fun of 12 hrs at a hospital!






So I normally wouldn't post pictures, but I couldn't resist. And the first one I will explain later.

So our LONG day began at 4am, we got up and got ready and dropped the kids off with my Mom and headed to the hospital. We checked in at 6:15AM, Bob was having some chest pain, so they ordered an X-ray and EKG, the EKG came back abnormal. But how can you have a normal one when your heart is bad? I was asking the nurse questions about how long this procedure would take, she said, "oh the first one takes like 20 minutes and the second one will take 2 hours, but he will have to lay flat for 4 hours!" WHAT, a second procedure, since when. She went on to explain that Bob was getting a Heart Cath today, we had NO CLUE!! I was really mad, but knew it needed to be done.

So around 8am, they came and gave him an IV. Bob hates IVs but he stood tough. A little after 8:15 Bob headed back for the first procedure, this is the one where he had to swallow the camera. The doc came out about 45 mins later and said that everything was fine, he didn't find the hole that Bob was told he had since he was little, the hole that he went to Primary Childrens for, for 15 years. The hole that they said they couldn't close up because it was too small. WEIRD!!! So about 10 minutes later Bob came out. It was so weird, I am use to being the one sitting on that bed, not him. He was a little groggy, but looked good. We waited in recovery for 2 LONG hours, I mean LONG!!! Finally around 11 they took him back for the heart cath. I waited in this waiting room with like 10 other people, everyone staring at each other wondering what is going to happen next. I debated on leaving to get something to eat since i hadn't ate all day, but I couldn't do it. After waiting forever, finally at a quarter to 3 I am called back to talk with the doc.

So the news is that Bob has a blockage on his right ventricle leading to his lung. This can be fixed and will consist of open heart surgery. He thinks we are out of the woods with getting a new heart. AGAIN he thinks, this could change of course, but for now we will focus on getting it fixed and going from there. The doctor once again expressed how lucky BOb is to be alive, its so crazy and I firmly believe that if he has made it this far, he can make it forever. I feel so relieved to know that its not as bad as thought. I might even sleep tonite. Bob feels relieved too. So for right now he has a small battle wound and he has to take it easy, but we will get through this. I totally believe that prayers do work and I can't thank the people that have been praying for us enough. Its so crazy! So July 14th we will know the surgery date and I will update soon. Thanks everyone!!!

Oops, almost forgot to explain the first picture. Bob hadn't peed in 4 hours and needed to, so I asked the nurse what we could do and they handed him that thing and I swear he peed for like 30 minutes, sorry to much info, I know, but its funny and we needed a good laugh!!

4 comments:

Eric and Jenny said...

That is great news, I mean still scary open heart surgery sounds terrifying in itself but at least he doesn't need a transplant. That is really wonderful and totally made my day, I am glad you both made it through the day, it must have been so long and agonizing for you both...

Unknown said...

I'm sure you are both so relieved that they are thinking they can just do open heart now instead of a transplant. I know it's still scary but its a little bit of a relief, I'm sure!

It really is a miracle that he got this checked out when he did.

I'm still keeping you all in my prayers!

The Martin's said...

I'm so glad things are looking up for you! I've been keeping tabs and thinking of you often. Your family pictures turned out really good too! What a cute fam :)

Thiago & Teri said...

That is great news, well as good as can be expected right now I guess. I am relieved for you guys, and will continue to pray that all goes well.

stinkin cute pic of Lexi all cuddled up sleeping with your mom, nothing better. She is your little slice of heaven right now, I bet anyways.