Monday, August 30, 2010

My Salsa Recipe

Honestly, you can do anything you would like with salsa, last year I did two different recipes from my neighbor, this year I did one of hers and made up another.

So the first one is:

Like El Matadors Salsa

8 qrts of tomatoes
2 cups of vineagar
2 table spoons of salt (this isn't right, I go off of how I feel when I taste it, everyone is different on salt.)
6 carrots
2 onions
6 stems of celery
2 garlics (again go off of how you feel, I like more garlic for flavoring)
5 jalepenos (but go off of how spicy you like it)
6 anaheims
8 bell peppers
1 tbsp of white pepper

Again, all the peppers are based on how you feel, I like a lot of peppers, more flavor I think. So you cook all your tomatoes in a pot and bring them to a boil, peel off the skin and then mush them up, you can use a blender or your hands, I use my hands because a blender makes it too watery. Then mix everything together, I chop my onions, garlic and peppers in my chopper. Cook for 2 hrs and then bottle them and process for 45 minutes and your done.

My second recipe:

16 Quarts of tomatoes
14 Jalepenos
3 onions
3 garlic
2 cups of vinegar
12 anaheims
14 green bell peppers
2 chilies
3 yellow bell peppers
2 tbsps white pepper
2 tbsps of salt (again whatever you prefer)

Again you can mix as many of anything as you would like. I know I had more tomatoes than 16 quarts, but it doesn't taste too tomatoey. I love the second recipe better than the first this time. Its not too spicy, just perfect. Again boil for 2 hrs and process for 45 mins.

I love salsa and this is how I do it cheap. I recycle my jars, throw them in the dishwasher and put them up until next year. When I bought all my jars and processor last year, I maybe spent $75.00 all together. Got my processor at walmart for super cheap, used coupons to buy my jars and watched for sales. This year I PICKED my tomatoes and peppers from Days Farms on Gentile in Layton for $10.00 a box, I got 3 boxes of tomatoes and peppers for $34.00. I already had salt, I picked up onions for super cheap at the store and garlic 3 for $1.00. I am telling you its worth every penny and minute. Also, if you don't like to do it alone which I don't suggest you do, team up with a family member, I canned with my Mom and Grandma this year and it was super easy, split the cost. Now we have salsa for a year and I love it!

1 comment:

Yvonne [Tried and Tasty] said...

Wahoo! Thanks for sharing, I will have to copy it down for the day I can salsa, it will be nice to have a good recipe on hand :)