Saturday, March 19, 2011

After High School Memories..


Some of my favorite memories are from High School, but a good portion are from right after High School.

Right after High School we had a party at Layton Park with my friends. We cooked hamburgers and hot dogs and played games. It was a blast. It wasn't too long after that, that I realized I probably wouldn't see a lot of my friends too much longer. Some were going off to College, others were starting jobs and I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted to do with my life. Things started out slow, somedays I wish I could go back and start over and head straight to College, other days, I wouldn't take any of it back. I first worked for Farmers Insurance Agency calling customers to try to get them to sign up for insurance, it was a horrible job and I think lasted a week if I remember right. I had then interviewed for a job selling knives, yes you read that right, I sold knives for about 3 weeks, it wasn't too bad at first and I actually did pretty well. But it was something I knew I didn't want to do long term. I then had started looking for other things, applied everywhere, at this time I wasn't really in a relationship, I was dating several guys, but never in a million years did I see myself married. 9/11 happened and I remember being scared, I wanted to join the military, but my Mom had begged me not too. In a way I wish I would've, I think I would have a college degree and a stable job. But would I have been happy being away from my Family...no. I also wouldn't have a beautiful family or maybe I would've, who knows.

Right after 9/11, I was hired on by a temp agency to work at the place I currently do. I worked about 2 weeks after 9/11 until the day before Thanksgiving. I then applied to work at the place and got hired on a day after my 18 birthday.

My 18 birthday was a blast, we had a party at my house with all my friends. Now looking at my pictures I realize all my good friends from High School are missing. Because they were gone to college. I remember going through a weird time in my life wondering if I would ever see some of my friends again, they were my world. My life revolved around them and its funny to me now, but when your a teenager nothing else matters.

Right after I started my job permanently I was hooked up with a guy from High School. At first I didn't like him, but he treated me right and I had just got done dating guys who were immature and wrong for me. This guy was actually the guy I thought I would marry (I know its weird to write this now). He advised me right after we made it official that he was going to go on a mission. I was fine with that and figured if things were meant o be, then I would be here when he got back. We dated for 6 months and broke up a month before he left. His Mom hated me, because I wasn't LDS. This was one of the hardest things in my life and I will never forget it to this day. He left on his mission in May and I swore I wasn't gonna write him, but I did and not too long after he left I started attending the LDS church. I went every single Sunday with my best friend Misty. I then started taking the missionary discussions and committed to getting baptised. It was the day before my baptism that I backed out. I knew I was doing it for the wrong reasons and if I was going to do something like that it wouldn't be for a guy. I still wrote him for about a month after this and then I called things off. It was hard, but I knew things were meant to be and I wasn't okay with making things any worse than they already were.


It was right after this that I met Bob. I didn't think I would marry Bob when I met him, but right away we connected. It was something magical. He loved me for me and didn't judge me for what I did or didn't do in my life.

Somedays I miss High School and being single, but I wouldn't trade my family for the world. I guess when you are a teenager life seems easier or looks easier, even though you may not believe it at the moment. You don't have bills atleast. But I would take bills, house payment, car payments and all those other yucky things anyday if it meant I could have my 3 adorable kids and family. Its simply amazing!

1 comment:

Yvonne [Tried and Tasty] said...

So I'm totally digging the bible verse in your header!

Looking at your pictures... I only recognize a small handful of people, Misty is the only other one I was friends with - funny how there were so many social circles in high school!

Looks like great times, I'm glad you posted about life after high school I really enjoyed reading about that. Great job standing up for what you knew was right and not being persuaded by that guy you were dating that went on the mission. If you had done it for the wrong reason it wasn't meant to be :)