Friday, December 3, 2010

My Hero



I have many hero's in my life, but for as long as I can remember there has always been two hero's that have and will always be the greatest!! My Grandpa and Grandma (Bonnie, she is my step Grandma). These two have been through so much the last two years, from starting dialysis to kidney transplant to now cancer. Yes, I said cancer. My heart has been breaking and I haven't been able to find the words to say. We received this news Wednesday night and I bawled the whole night. Its not good! Cancer has been something that I have been so afraid of my entire adult life. It takes lives like you wouldn't believe. It is horrible! My Grandpa found out a couple weeks before my Grandma's transplant that he had gallbladder cancer. This is so rare that some doctors never see it. As a matter of a fact, his doctor has seen it twice in his many years of being a doctor. So they removed his gallbladder a week before the transplant and he found out the day before that they cancer may have spread. My Grandpa is 72 years young, he is smart, amazing, very knowledgable, friendly and can give the best advice on life. He has traveled everywhere, Thailand, Germany, Anartica, Alaska and many more places. He has done things I can only imagine doing. He has met his great grandkids, spent lots of time with his grandkids and worked several jobs. He flew a plane for a long time before his heart attack. He walks 7-10 miles a day, YES, a day! He loves animals and has two dogs who think the world of him. He retired from the Air Force. He really has lived a wonderful life. So next week we will find out how bad it is, what the timing is and where to go from there. I am praying that some small or big miracle can happen. We have plans to go to Texas in June and I really really want to go. I have NEVER lost someone this close to me and I am so scared. Scared for my kids, scared for my Mom and scared for my Grandma. And although we try to remain optimistic, breaking down is sometimes all we can do. I told my Mom that we have been handed so many hard things in life, but it has made us so strong and we have NEVER given up and this won't stop us.

1 comment:

Eric and Jenny said...

Oh Sierra I am so sorry. I hate cancer too nothing scares me quite like it. I just wait for the day it will affect one of my loved ones. My heart breaks for your family, especially this time of year, I will pray for one big miracle too!