Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Oklahoma on my mind

The weather has been crazy in Texas, apparently this is NORMAL May weather, I'm not sure how this can be normal, but in Utah, we don't have this. 

Last week we had all the scary tornado watches and warnings.  I don't like tornados, I don't like hearing about them let alone being in tornado watch.  I've talked to my kids about tornados to be honest with them, little did I know I needed to give myself a pep talk.

Monday when I got home I found out about the Oklahoma tornado and my heart immediately sunk.  How can you being going about normal life and see this happen?  How can life change that quickly?  Why?  Why do these parents have to go through this with their children and why did these kids have to go through this and some not make it out of it. 

So I knew on Monday that we had bad storms headed in on Tuesday, and I was worried, I'll admit, but tried to remain calm for my kids.

Went to work and around 1:30pm we started watching the storm, sure enough it was heading in strong, there were tornado watches EVERYWHERE in the DFW area.  I got an email from the school about how they were taking extra precautions and that their main focus was to make sure all kids were safe.

That's when it hit me.  I am 45 mins at the least away from my children and I'm a mess.  My babies mean the world to me, I would do anything in the world for them, I would and will fight for them, support them, protect them and I love them.  This Mom was not feeling right.  So while driving home, I was in a panic, the weather was horrible, the wind was blowing hard, people were stopping on the freeway, the emergency alerts were going off on the radio and I lost it.  I asked and begged Bob to take me home.  I was going to grab my babies and I was going to drive back to where I felt safe....UTAH. 

Then I said a prayer, I asked God to please give me the strength to know that I could do this.  I asked him to let me know that things would be okay.  I asked him to watch over my children while I couldn't be with them and I asked him to protect my family.  And I felt so much better.  Sometimes saying a prayer in the middle of a storm is the best thing you could do.

 
The view when we left, we knew we were headed for black skies.

 
Found this verse when I got home.  Oh how much it meant to know that the Lord is my strength and I felt it when I needed to.  God is so good.

 
The crazy storm, the cars stopped on the freeway, it was insane.

 
Finally moving.
 
And what a HUGE sigh of relief to make it home and know that all of Texas was good, a little damage to trees, but nothing we can't handle.
 
My heart still aches for Oklahoma, they have been on my mind all week.  I pray for them, for their loved ones, I hope they feel all the prayers coming their way. 
 

No comments: