Monday, August 10, 2009

A Mother always knows...




I have always said that a mother knows when something is wrong with their child. I have been suspecting it for a week now with Lexi. She hasn't been sleeping, doesn't want to eat and just hasn't been her self. She is normally a very happy girl, sleeps through the night and is content just about anywhere you put her. On Friday it seemed to get worse, she didn't want her bottle at all, I had to force feed her and I hated it. She didn't sleep that night and the next day she was pretty stuffy and couldn't breathe very well. Saturday, she was very fussy, wanted nothing to do with anybody or anything. I mentioned to Bob that I thought she was losing weight or hadn't gained much. I then noticed white spots in her mouth on her tongue, the roof of her mouth and the sides. I knew exactly what it was, THRUSH. Its horrible, its a yeast infection in the mouth and very painful. Sunday, she just got worse! So I know your probably wondering why I didnt' take her to the ER, well let me explain. The ER doctors are not pediatricians, Lexi was born premmature, she has a heart problem and no one knows about everything besides her doctor. I preferred she seem him unless I absolutely thought she needed to be seen immediately.
So I took her first thing this morning, she does have thrush and she has only gained 5oz in a little over a month, not a good thing at all. She is tiny, she weighs 10lbs 5oz! So they are worried, luckly she goes to Primary Childrens on September 2nd, he said if she doesn't gain a pound by then they will put an NG tube in her, because the biggest thing with heart babies is gaining weight.
Just when you think nothing else could go wrong, sometimes I sit and wonder what I have done to deserve this. But then I think about all the people that have gone through things like this or similar and wonder what they did too. NOTHING!! But why does being strong have to hurt so bad and why does it have to suck so bad? Why is life so hard? This year has been a disaster for me and I am not sure I can handle much more. I have cried and cried and cried and cried and I don't think I have any more tears left. I look at my children that I love so much and I am so thankful that they are still here, but why do they have to go through all of this. They don't deserve this at all! My boys are starting to understand things more and more and it freaks me out.

So on a good note, Jaxon finally found who his teacher is, he starts kindergarten 2 weeks from today, I can hardly believe! I am excited for him, he still isn't sure about it, but I think will be fine once he starts.

2 comments:

Eric and Jenny said...

Oh thush, that is so sad for her. I swear her and Luke could be little clones he had that too. Maybe we should introduce them when they get older a perfect match! Hang in there I remember thinking the exact same thing how it feels like it is just all at once and you can't possibly take one more piece of bad news. But I bet you 2010 will be a great year for your family, you are very much deserving of some peace about now...

Thiago & Teri said...

Oh no, I have heard that thrush is no good. Poor Lexi and her poor mommy....too bad you both have to go through that. Way to go on listening to your instincts though, moms do know best.