Saturday, July 18, 2009

Bob Update!

Sorry for the lack of posts! Yesterday was the longest day of my life, I will give you the run down.

4am: Wake up
4:30am: Drop Lexi off with Grandma
5:45am: Arrive at University of Utah Hospital, check in.
6am: Head to be prepped for surgery, pee in a cup, get changed, take vitals, get EKG and get IV.
7:15am: Head to OR
8:20am: Surgery starts (it takes that long to get hooked up to all the monitors and get sedated and all that stuff)
10:30am: Update, Bob is doing great, still on bypass machine.
12:40pm: Update, Bob is still doing good and still on bypass machine.
2:50pm: Update, Bob is still in surgery, still doing good, and still on the bypass machine.
4:50pm: Update, they are closing Bob up, doctor should be out to talk to me and Bob is doing good.
5:30pm: Doctor comes out. The valve that needed to be fixed looks perfect, couldn't be any better, BUT and I hate that word...He had 3 holes in his heart, 2 they were able to close, 1 they couldn't, it was too dangerous and they would have had to put in a pace maker if they did. Bob is doing good, but has been badly beat up. They took off and put him on bypass 5 times. They want to watch for blood clots to make sure he is fine before taking him to SICU (Surgery Intensive Care Unit).
6pm: I finally for the first time all day eat something, head down to the Cafeteria with my sister to grab something to eat.
6:15pm: Head back up only to be told that the OR is looking for me, they have called my cell, but it doesn't work on the lower level. GREAT!!! They get a hold of me to tell me that Bob has been taken back to the OR, he had a lot of bleeding and they had to open him back up. My whole world comes crashing down, I hit the floor, start crying and begging for someone to please save my Husband. Now I can't eat, but know I need to.
7:30pm: Receive word that they are closing Bob back up, will watch for bleeding again and then take him to SICU, also Doc will be out to talk shortly.
8:20pm: Receive word from the doctor that Bob was just taken to ICU, he is in very bad shape, they got the bleeding stopped. His vitals are good, his heart is beating on its own, but he is still on a ventilator. I am told I can see him at 9pm.
9pm: Head down only to be told that he is not ready to be seen.
9:15pm: Someone finally comes out to let me know that he is ready. I see him and breakdown in the worst breakdown ever, I never ever could have been prepared to see my husband like this ever. The nurse was great last night, she explained that everything was normal so far, so many tubes and machines. I think the life support is what really got me bad. I hated it, still hate it.

SO...as of today!

I headed down at 9am this morning! Walked in and he had color, I was happy, tears of joy came down my face. Saw and heard he was doing great and did great all night. RELIEF!!! So I asked what the plan was, she said possibly to get extubated (off life support) and off sedation. At 10:30, his stuff starting getting lowered and he started waking up. It was sad, I tried to keep him calm, told him I loved him, that the boys did and that they missed him. He tried to tell me with his tube in that he loved us. SO SAD!!! At 12:30pm he was officially extubated and his only on a low dose of oxygen. He is doing good, talking, moving, responding and looks great! He is in a lot of pain and is very uncomfortable, but that will get better with time. He is seriously my HERO. He has come a long ways in just 24 hours. He is doing things they never thought he would, he sat up and moved his legs. He wanted to get up and walk, but that is tomorrow. I am so proud of you Bob! Keep staying strong and just think we are now on the road to recovery! YAY!!!




These pictures are this morning, I couldn't take a picture last night, I don't want to remember him that way nor do I want him or his kids to see what he looked like. He looks 20 times better in these two.



This one is right before I left today, he looks great!!

Please keep the prayers coming, they are working and we are so thankful for them. Love you all!!!

2 comments:

Brent~April~Kennley said...

WOW, what a day for you and your family! I'm so glad that he is doing so well. Keep the updates coming!

Eric and Jenny said...

You poor girl, that sounds like the worst day of anyone's life. How frusterating to sit and wait for news all day long. I am so glad he is doing well, it must have been so scary for you and him. Hopefully he makes a quick recovery....and every day just get's better and better. You are on the uphill.