Thursday, October 15, 2009

God doesn't give us more than we can handle...

I heard that phrase a hundred times when we went through our nightmare this Summer. But I believe it more now than I ever have. I am not a very religious person, I don't follow any religion, I do believe and I do pray and I have read the bible. But now more than ever do I believe that my Husband is here for a reason and someone knew that he needed to be here. I feel blessed! Its amazing how struggles can bring out the best in you, truly! I am now part of a group for heart babies and heart adults, I follow some magnificent stories and read of miracles everyday.

I am not sure many people know what Bob's diagnosis was, it was Tetroly of Fallot, its something your born with, not something you just get. Technology back when Bob was born isn't as high tech as it is now, had Bob had surgery back then he probably wouldn't be here. Doctors didn't even diagnose him right, do I blame them, NO and the reason, because like I said technology wasn't like it is now. But it is a TRUE miracle that Bob is a live. Babies still are dying to see this day from this disease. One little girl I read on and I promise to find her blog again since its not on my list had 4 surgeries and she unfortunately passed away, its heart breaking. But God has a plan for everyone, whether its here on earth or not.

So what is Tetrology of Fallot?

Tetralogy of Fallot is classified as a cyanotic heart defect because the condition causes low oxygen levels in the blood, which leads to cyanosis (a bluish-purple coloration to the skin).

The classic form of Tetralogy includes 4 defects within the heart structures:

Ventricular septal defect (hole between the right and left ventricles)
Narrowing of the pulmonary outflow tract (tube that connects the heart with the lungs)
An aorta (tube that carries oxygenated blood to the body) that grows from both ventricles, rather than exclusively from the left ventricle
A thickened muscular wall of the right ventricle (right ventricular hypertrophy)
At birth, infants may not show the signs of the cyanosis, but later may develop sudden frightening episodes (called "Tet spells") of bluish skin from crying or feeding.

Tetralogy of Fallot is considered rare. Patients with tetraology of Fallot have a higher incidence of major non-heart congenital defects.

The cause of most congenital heart defects is unknown. Multiple factors seem to be involved. Prenatal factors associated with higher than normal risk for this condition include maternal rubella or other viral illnesses during pregnancy, poor prenatal nutrition, maternal alcoholism, mother over 40 years old, and diabetes.

There is a high incidence of chromosomal disorders in children with tetralogy of Fallot, such as Down syndrome and Di George's syndrome (a partial gene deletion that results in heart defects, low calcium levels, and immune deficiency.)

Some of it may not make sense and to me it didn't for a long time. I swear the doctors explained it to me a thousands times. When Bob had all his test done there were no signs of holes and without the holes it couldn't be true tetrology of fallot, so they weren't sure what he had. But when they opened him up, they found not 1 hole, but 3. They were able to close up all but one, which is so small you can't hear it or see it. Amazing!!

So today while seeing the cardiologist who Bob likes to say "saved his life", he advised us that he is writing up Bobs story and going to have it published to a journal or magazine. Basically Bob is going to be famous. Its a condition rarely seen in adults that haven't had surgery or anything. My Husband is a walking miracle! I am so glad he is here, I can't imagine my life without him. It gives me goosebumps to think of everything that we have overcame in the last 3 months, but WE DID IT!!!

No comments: