Sunday, January 11, 2009

Does it get better?

So I am pretty much at the end of the rope today. Jaxon started the morning off bad, the first thing he did is slap his brother across the face. So I ignored that and moved on thinking maybe its the attention thing that really is making him do all this. I only ask 3 things of Jaxon everyday, I know he is 4 years old so asking more would be pushing it. His 3 chores (I don't even know if I would call them that) are to: 1. Feed the dog, it takes 2 minutes if that and its easy and he enjoys it. 2. keep his room clean, I don't mean it has to be shining, but I just ask that he doesn't pile up trash and that he keeps his toys that he isn't playing put up. 3. Its quite easy, I just ask that he keep his hands to himself and if he feels like they are going get out of control he find something to do with them. In my mind their pretty easy task, not asking too much and it doesn't take up a whole day, because I myself know how precious playing time is for a 4 year, let alone any kid.

Well he started off on the wrong foot this morning, first with slapping his brother, then proceeding to shred paper all over his room. If he wants to shred the paper he has to realize he is going to have to clean it up, well he didn't think that was right. So it starts with the Jaxon tatrum that last for hours, going from crying to screaming to crying to screaming and never ending. I can only take so much of this before I lose my patience. He then proceeds to beat the crap out of his brother once again, so at this point I have to step in and I do. I have learned that taking toys from Jaxon doesn't mean anything, he just doesn't care. But taking away his TV is the worse thing you can do to him. I had a hard time letting him have the TV in the first place, I didn't have a TV in my room until I was in Junior High and I never had a DVD player, so I think he has it made. I have taken away the TV one other time, but never stuck to keeping it away, he had it back in no time. I have learned and been told several times, if I am going to do something I need to stick to it, especially with a child. I know I have struggled in this area and I think its part of the reason why he acts the way he does. So I took away the TV, its gone, he isn't getting it back, I advised him that he is going to have to earn it back, which will require some very good days of listening and not back talking. I figure its the only way to help with the way he is acting and maybe I am wrong, I really don't know. Right now I am at my struggling point, I have never had a 4 year old, I haven't done this before, so its new. All I know is that Jaxon is not the same he use to be, I know I am part to blame, because I let him get away with so much for so long. Does this get better? I really am up to take any advice possible, what do you do? How do you stop the nasty attitude? How do you get that loveable child back that seems to be missing? Its hard for me to say these things because I love my Son with all my heart, but I miss the old Jaxon, I want him back. Why is it so hard being a parent sometimes?

HELP!!!

1 comment:

Tiff and Chris said...

Okay, so I am not a parent; however, in church I have taught 4 year olds...and have found a few things that worked well for behavior. Send me an email: themontoyas825@yahoo.com